How to find the lodge
- Head north from Waiouru along the Desert Road for 22.4km or south from Turangi for 37km.
- There is a signpost marked “Tukino Access Road” near the Desert road summit. Tukino Access Road can also be found on Google Maps.
- Turn west here and follow this gravel road across the desert for 7km to the “Base Camp” car park. The first km of the road can be rough at times but suitable for 2wd vehicles with good clearance.
- From here the road is 4wd only and continues for another 7km up the mountain to the Tukino village.
- There is a Locked Gate 10.6km from the Desert Road.
Distance to Tukino, including mountain road:
Auckland – 415
Hamilton – 259
Rotorua – 188
Ohakune – 66
Palmerston North – 171
Wanganui – 163
Masterton – 270
Napier – 249